Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit http://www.worldbank.org.
Governance Global Practice
The Governance Global Practice helps countries build capable, effective, accountable, transparent and inclusive institutions that deliver citizen-centric services, facilitate private-sector growth and build trust in Government. Our work program comprises six core Business Lines: 1. Public Financial Management (PFM), 2. Domestic Revenue Mobilization (DRM)/Tax Administration, 3. State-owned Enterprises and Corporate Governance, 4. Public Institutions Reform, 5. Decentralization and Sub-national Governance, and 6. Financial Management Fiduciary Assurance for Bank-financed Operations; as well as three Cross-Cutting Themes: GovTech, Anti-Corruption and Political Economy.
EA2G2 Unit & Program in Central Africa
The EA2G2 Unit covers the Governance Global Practice program in Central African countries (Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Burundi, Central African Republic, Democratic Republic of Congo, and Republic of Congo), Angola, Sao Tome and Principe, and Nigeria.
The position is focused on providing support to strengthening of tax administration systems and institutions, with a view to increase domestic revenue mobilization (DRM) across Central African countries. As such, the position requires hands-on advisory and operational contributions to the program of Development Policy Operations (DPO), Investment Project Financing (IPF), and Analytic and Advisory Services (ASA).
The Africa Region, which is comprised of approximately 900 staff members, mostly based in 38 field offices, is committed to helping Africa realize its considerable development potential, with a focus on employment generation. While the overall business climate in Africa is the weakest in the world, several countries including some fragile states have made great strides in improving their environment for business. What is emerging as a result is a growing region, with setbacks from time to time, that is increasingly seen as a destination for investment as much as for aid; and one where leaders are increasingly willing to address problems of poor governance that harms development effectiveness.
You will be under the supervision of the Governance Practice Manager for the EA2G2 Unit and will work in coordination with other EA2G2 team members based in HQ and the field, as well as colleagues from other Global Practices especially of the Macroeconomics, Trade and Investment (MTI) and Finance, Competitiveness and Innovation (FCI) Global Practices, and from the Central African Country Management Units (CMUs), especially AFCC2.
- Provide high quality advisory services on public sector and governance issues to internal and external clients in Central African countries, with a focus on enhancing the quality of tax administration systems; increasing tax collection while minimizing economic distortions and reducing inequality; strengthening the operational capacity of tax administration bodies; adapting tax system to the challenges and opportunities of digitalization; fostering voluntary compliance and legitimacy of the tax system; and international cooperation and information exchange on tax matters.
- Provide advice and support to other World Bank sector operations and policy dialogue related to public institutions reform and other Governance core Business Lines and Cross-Cutting Themes.
- Manage the preparation and supervision of assigned tasks and deliverables and ensure effective delivery of programs requested by the CMUs.
- Generate and exchange knowledge relating to governance issues.
- Support the Practice Manager in work program discussions, business development and supervising the quality and timeliness of work program deliverables.
- Contribute to corporate tasks such as the preparation of country briefs and inputs to thematic notes.
You will be a professional with solid operational experience on public sector lending and non-lending instruments by the World Bank and/or other multilateral lending institutions, including trust-funded and result-based lending.
- Master’s degree in economics, public policy/administration, public financial management, finance, or another related field.
- At least 8 years of relevant experience.
- Directly relevant experience and knowledge in tax administration.
- Strong knowledge of francophone public administration systems.
- Strong experience in World Bank or other multi-lateral development banks’ operations.
- Experience in quality control of the outputs of junior staff and consultants.
- Strong team player with the ability to work independently and effectively both remotely and face-to-face.
- Strong integrative skills.
- Fluency in French and English.
- Work experience in fragile and conflict-afflicted environments desired.
DRC is a FCS post with associated benefits.
This vacancy closes on January 26, 2020.
To see a full job description and to apply please visit the World Bank job website at https://www.worldbank.org/careers. The job number is 5548.
Poverty has no borders. Neither does excellence. This is why we continually search for qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds from around the globe. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.